Sunday 18 April 2010

Wake Up Legs!

Here we go with trying to get back to the old routine of posting on Sunday nights....
Will look to keep it short & simple as need to get some quality zzz's after some poor quality sleeps. Anywy,s lets get on with this weeks news...

I've really enjoyed this week. Managed to spend over 12 hours on the bike, riding most days and getting back into the swing of riding consistently again.

After being off the bike for so long, I've really noticed how my legs are not used to the higher turnover rate of cycling vs. running. Without consciously thinking about it, my legs have "settled" into riding at 70-75 rpm and preferring to turn a bigger gear.

Whilst I've been pleased with the strength in my legs, I know that this lower cadence/bigger gear is not suitable to my attributes and also the demands of long, endurance riding.

Therefore, my focus this week has been on higher cadence work, using the small chain ring more and really trying to maintain speed & power through the combination of gears and rpms.

Its been a real shock to the legs - almost like waking them up - and has proved really beneficial to both my cycling and general fatigue levels.

During the week I carried out my first FTP test of the season, to set a benchmark for my power data and see where I'm currently at. The positive news was that my numbers came out very close to where I was at when training for the Challenge Barcelona iron-distance race last October.

I'll be using an FTP of 225w to set my power benchmarks, and then re-testing once a month as the season progresses.

So, with a couple of nice weekdays rides in the bag, it was onto the longer stuff on the weekend. Thankfully, the weather was perfect for some long rides in the Cotswold hills.

On Saturday I had one of most enjoyable rides in a long time. Me & a mate rode over to the Malvern hills to take on some on the nice long climbs they have on offer. It was perfect training for the forthcoming sportives with plenty of "lumps" of between 4-8%, with some bigger climbs hitting 10-15%.

I was very pleased with how the ride went, especially the double-digit climbs. Holding a nice cadence and really using the gears I was able to hold a nice, consistent pace throughout the climbs without the heart rate going bananas.

An added bonus was the wonderful water of the Malvern spring waiting for us at the top of the second long climb - it felt like the fountain of youth and well worth the effort to get there.

After the climbs, I really focused on spinning the legs out and was pleased with still being able to hold a good pace and heart rate whilst in the smaller gears.

I really felt the benefit of the spinning post-ride as my legs, whilst tired, felt really light and fresh.

Sundays ride was an easier affair, just the 3 hours at 60-75% effort. The legs felt great and I continued to use the small ring to help maintain the higher cadence and "agreed" power output. With some nice 4-5% lumps and one decent climb hitting 12%, the session was far from boring and continued to help me getting a better understanding of how I can best adjust to challenge of climbing for long periods and distances.

With all the cycling required between now and June, I decided to reign in my swimming ambitions and just use these sessions as active recovery.

I did attempt a run this week but, and don't know whether it was the cycling or still post-Eco Trail "damage", it was very painful. I really struggled to hold any pace and any effort to lift the tempo was very difficult.

I think, for the time being, I'm going to scale my run sessions right back to minimal volume but aim for some higher frequency, ie more shorter runs. Just to help give the legs a change of stimulus but not asking them too many questions as to detract from what i need them to be - which are cyclists legs.

I'll use these shorter sessions to look at my run technique and will look to bring using my Vibrams and Newtons as effectively training-aids.

Anyway guys, not such a short post after all, but as I'm sure you've realised by now, I'm pretty pumped to back on my bike(s) again!

Hope this continues as the miles (and hills) continue to add up.

See you next Sunday.

M.