Sunday 4 January 2009

Where do I start?

Well, its taken a while but here is my much anticipated (by me) second post....

I've been pondering over what subjects to cover off this week, as I see these being a weekly occurrence, but i've got so many thoughts and ideas flying around that I am going to try and share these more regularly to begin with. 

So where do I begin...

Let's get the basics out of the way first. 

Training over the last seven days has been sporadic to say the least. So, therefore, I will say the least about it. I haven't been terribly motivated and the festive celebrations knocked me for six - leaving me feeling tired and weak. 

I did manage a couple of good sessions over Saturday and Sunday (today). It felt great to be back in the pool yesterday morning & even better to be in the company  of like-minded people. At the pool I heard about a 100km MTB race called Hell of The North Cotswolds which I rushed home to enter. This gave me the kick to get out on the bike and experience the beautiful cold, crisp weather. A short, tough session helped blow some those Guinnesses away!

This morning I flew out of bed as I knew that my favourite session of the week was waiting for me. I travel back to my parents house in Ross on Wye and get out on the trails. Its amazing - I can go out for hours (just 90 mins today) and not see a single car or run on any roads....I'll share some photos I took later. 

This years Xmas period was the clearest indication that my life has changed for good. I no longer miss the "cheeky few with the boys" back in my home town, those days have gone. The fond memories will remain but they will just be memories, time & people move on. 

I'm moving on. I truly feel on the brink of starting a new period of my life. I feel an urge to be more creative and do more meaningful activities. Where has this come from? I don't know but I do feel it is related to me being less materialistic than ever before. 

Times are hard for all of us, and will be getting harder. However, I welcome this challenging climate as I feel it is what society needed. If we all begin to realise that the greatest pleasures in life are self-driven and not purchased by money then we should all learn to be more tolerant, sharing, compassionate and generally "better" people. 

There has been a lot written recently about "surviving the credit crunch" but the best piece I have read was in todays Sunday Times. It was a piece written by Bryan Appleyard. I'll try and dig out a link to the article for you all. I also read another piece which had an image in the background quoting 3 simple lines: 

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody is watching

I'm going to hold onto these lines as they really encapsulate my current state of mind....

Speak soon,

M.