Sunday 1 February 2009

A quiet mind...

G'day folks, thanks tuning into this weeks thrilling episode....

I'll keep it short this week, I know I say that every week and then ramble on but I really need to get this done and then off to bed for some much needed sleep. 

Had another great week so couldn't be happier right now. All of the objectives I set myself for January were met which is always a great feeling. I've set some new objectives for February, three of which are; 

Perform stretches / flexibility exercises for at least 10 minutes every day (thanks for the idea Tom - see 50 weeks blog on left hand side)
Eat a mixed green salad with extra virgin olive oil every day
Get over 60 hours sleep per week - so averaging 9ish hours per night

I've had a strong training week, totaling 12.5 hours. This hasn't been easy, especially on the back of last Saturdays race, so pleased to have kept the consistency up. Highlights of the week continue to be my swim sessions. We hit 4.6k on Tuesday, 3.5k on Thursday (including some killer 10 x 100m sets) and then a good drill session on Saturday. 

After Thursdays session I decided to buy a pair of the Speedo Fastskins, to aid with compression / recovery as my legs are starting to feel the build up to the March Ultra. I wore these Saturday and have to tell you that they are sensational. I really felt the benefit of the compression and the slight buoyancy they gave me. I'll now rotate the fastskins with my Skinfit swim shorts (another great Skinfit product) as my total weekly mileage continues to build. 

I had a sensational massage on Friday night. I only wish I could afford one of these every week, instead of the once a month I currently have. Its these additional, supportive activities which really aid the core training and help keep the consistent trainng possible. Oh, to be a full-time pro....

Saturday saw me hit the mountain bike. I went out in the Forest of Dean with some guys from the tri team, who are decent MTBers. We had a great ride, and a tough workout which I felt the toll of this morning when I woke up. Todays run was not very enjoyable as legs were heavy and the weather freezing. Still, I was pleased to have got out there in the countryside and add some more miles to the bank. 

Just a quick note before I shoot off. Do you remember the quote I recited several weeks ago "Life is complicated, sport is simple"? Well, howies have got the t-shirt I saw this quote on in their winter sale. They've also got some of their legendary merino on offer. I strongly advise you take a look.

Right thats all folks, thats not too long for one of my weekly downloads. I'm off to start my 60 hours of kip!

Have a great week, catch you next Sunday. 

Pura Vida

Sparky