Sunday 22 February 2009

Where the heart is....

Evening All,

Is it Sunday evening already?!

This week has flown by, aided by a break-up to the usual weekly structure, which has resulted in a rather fractured weeks training. 

After last weekends long run (4 hours 22 mins), tiredness has been ever present this week. Combined with a hangover from the bigger volume weeks of late, the early signs of a potential cold and a couple of long days in the big smoke - i have been left feeling absolutely shattered all week!

A quick summary of the week gone by would include some decent (but not great) swimming, some resented running and zero biking - not the best weeks work! The highlight of the week was todays swim at Bath Uni. Swimming in a 50m pool is amazing and noticeably more challenging than a short-course pool. Coach Kev put on another excellent session and we all left feeling like we had done a good days work. 

I was due a low volume week, so in fact haven't been too far off plan but it has felt like a noticeable drop after the last few weeks of progressively strong training. This week will see more rest and focus on recovery ahead of the race on Sunday. 

As I sit here, I just want Sundays race done & dusted. I think this is just due to tiredness so hopefully as I get more refreshed the energy and vibe will return. 

I will re-visit my reasons for entering the race and remind myself of the goals I will achieve. Spookily enough, I did my run on Saturday along the race course back home in Ross on Wye. Whilst out, one of my oldest mates noticed me and called me over. It was great to see Dave after a few years away and I ended up going over to the soccer pitch with him. All the way we were remembering old times. 

Being at the pitch, seeing a couple more old mates brought back some great memories. It was an awesome day weather-wise and it reminded me that there really is no place like home. 

So next weeks race will be quite an emotional event for me. Why? Well some of the course takes us along where I began taking my first running steps back to gaining some health & fitness - following a few years of doing my best to break my body through various forms of abuse. 

Thats a tale for another day, but needless to say, completing a 30 mile Ultra on the roads I once struggled to run 5k will give me an enormous sense of achievement.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Train hard, 

Sparky