Monday 23 March 2009

A bunch of fives...

Yo, 
Apologies for not getting this out yesterday, Mothers Day responsibilities took priority. 

I'm pleased to say that the last week has seen a return to some form of decent, structured training and a couple of breakthrough sessions. 

I managed to get three really strong swims done, including a monster set of 5.6k in the 50m pool at Bath Uni. However, I've been experiencing a really uncomfortable feeling in my left-side ribs. I went to see my physio tonight and it appears that my obliques were really tight which was causing the pain under my rib-cage. A dose of acupuncture and all seems well again. In fact, a couple of doses helped sort out a painful knee, a tender achilles and a stiff pelvis. Right now, I feel like a second hand dartboard but its all for the good!

A small session on the indoor bike, focusing on out of the saddle work, was followed by a great ride on Saturday. It was an awesome day, perfect riding conditions & coupled with the new bike I couldn't wait to get out. A couple of mates were going out for a long one, so I couldn't resist the temptation to put in a solid session. I totalled 84 miles, in just over 5 hours. A comfortable average speed of 16.6mph and a nice average HR of 129bpm - gave me a real confidence boost for tackling the longer rides to come. 

So the weekend saw a 5 hour bike on Saturday, backed up with a 5.6k swim. Happy days, but I do need to get a handle on my training again before I get too carried away. 

I've just caught up with my coach as I really do need to "put the blinkers on" and focus on my key goal: Challenge Roth on 12 July. 

This will mean sticking to a structured, progressive plan & not getting distracted by other races or training events which ultimately don't move me forward. 

I just need to channel my energy, passion and motivation in the most beneficial& developmental way. 

So, as pleasing as this weekend was in terms of smacking out some good volume, I need to learn to be a disciplined, well behaved young man. 

Now that really would be an achievement!

Laters dudes, 

Sparks