Sunday 8 March 2009

I can see clearly now...

Yo!

Back to hitting the Sunday night deadline, but aiming to keep it brief as I'm keen to hit the sack!

Following last Sunday's beasting at the 30 miler, I've taken this week off training to allow for mental and physical rehabilitation. It was much needed and as I haven't really missed training I've seen that as an indicator that rest was needed. This weekend was quite tough, as the weather has been ok and I always feel like I should be out training. However, after hitting the pool yesterday morning I realised that the body hadn't fully recovered so that helped ease the guilty feeling. 

As the week has progressed my mental mojo has returned. I've looked into a few new races and challenges, laid out some plans and gradually got the energy back. I'm going to ease back into it this week, hitting the early morning swims plus some bike work. 

Having more free time has enabled me to me to get a lot of those things which never get done done. I've caught up on my reading, a few chores here & there, worked on a couple of little projects plus I finally went and got set-up on my new road bike. All of this has contributed to clearing the mental fog. This week will hopefully see the physical fog begin to clear.   

I'm confident that getting the clarity back will enable me to kick on and focus on Bala and then onto Roth. I've put in a few smaller goals along the way to keep me ticking over. Baby steps....

So, there you go. Not much to report this week folks but I do want to pass on my congrats to a couple of mates who raced at Ironman New Zealand over the weekend. My mate John came in at 10 hours 23 mins. John - I know you'll be disappointed mate but don't be - thats yet another stellar race under the belt. Another mate Alex came home in 10.38 and qualified for an age-group slot at Kona! I'll always remember seeing Alex suffer like a dog at Busselton in 2006 - and to see him come back & qualify for Kona is a real inspiration.  

Adios amigos, see you in seven.

Sparky