Sunday 9 May 2010

Simplify and focus

Evening All,

Hope you've all had a good week.

My week? Not bad thanks.

A quieter week after the last two big weeks which was much needed as the "fog" had truly came in after last Sundays Sportive.

On Monday I was exhausted, you know that jet-lag feeling when you're not quite with it? Thats how I felt all day, never really got going and almost a kind of "sickie" feeling.

As its turned out I don't think this was all down to physical tiredness but also some sort of cold I have picked up.

On Sundays ride I never felt warm or even comfortable - but cold all the way around - and never really warmed up for the rest of the day - even after a steaming hot bath.

This has carried on all week - almost like a chill has got into me. I've struggled to shift a bloody persistent cough for a few weeks now and the sneezes have come on again.

So, taking this into account along with residual fatigue following some solid training weeks, I have focused this week on getting some simple structure back into my weekly routine.
Although tired I have forced myself to get back into the early morning swims. The swimming has been atrocious but it has been great to return to the good old days of early starts and feeling like something worthwhile has been achieved by 8am.

I've had three swims this week - two in the 50m outdoor lido - which is a great way to start the day.

The swimming is not good but a focus on drills and some baseline technique is proving beneficial. Although not racing triathlon this year, I am keen to swim regularly as the overall benefits to strength, flexibility and conditioning are superb.

I always feel better when I am swimming - my upper body strength and body composition are much better than when I just focus on running or cycling.

Cycling-wise, I've managed 100 miles this week. Not bad considering I haven't really been up for it. All the rides have been reasonably comfortable as the legs have let me know that they're pretty fooked!

The good signs are that as the week has progressed the jet-lag has diminished and the mojo has returned.

So this coming week will be about combining the mojo with the return to early mornings and early evenings.

Its when I start living this monastic type lifestyle that I really do appreciate the whole endurance lifestyle.

It makes me realise that this is how I wish to live my life.

It may seem boring to outsiders but it really is the most fulfilling lifestyle which carries over it over aspects of my life such as work and friends.

Sometimes it takes one of of these quieter weeks to make me appreciate this lifestyle more than the "hero" weeks. I like to use them as an opportunity to return to basics and create the platform for the forthcoming bigger weeks.

Ok, enough preaching, I've got to get off to bed as I have an early start tomorrow!

Ciao

Sparky







that was my party political broadcast on behalf of the