Sunday 2 May 2010

Tomorrow we ride....

Ok, I know I say this every week but this is going to be short & snappy, as i'm shattered.

Over 14 hours & 220 miles in the saddle this week says it all.

Riding for 5 out of 7 days.

87 mile Sportive with over 9300 ft of climbing on Sunday hit the spot.

Really pleased with progress, now using the power meter to inform my climbing output with really good results.

Average power is increasing - riding at normalized power of 210 watts for over 6 hours today.

Climbing at a nice, controlled pace all the way through the climb. Good low cadence, keeping watts under control, enabling me to ride at a nice consistent pace on all gradients.

Starting to feel pretty fatigued, as seen by short temper returning and poor quality sleep.

Will look to bring swimming back into the mix next week. Nothing heavy but more as active recovery which I'm hoping will help with back and leg soreness.

Seeing good benefits from strength training as core is engaging better when climbing and quads are taking the load - as opposed to hamstrings which used to be the cause of my low power output.

Very pleased with nutrition. Clif Bars came to the rescue today when the hunger bonk started to appear. The newly discovered Biestmilch Booster worked very well again - helping me get through the mist of fatigue.

Six weeks to the Alps & Pyrenees - plenty of work still to be done. I thought todays climbs were long but they're nothing compared to what awaits me.

So although its going well, I'm acutely aware that I am heading into a whole new ball park, so need to stay disciplined and focused to give myself every chance of heading the Cols in the best possible condition.

I love having this focus and these goals. Its what I live for.

If that makes me sound shallow and one-dimensional then so be it.

I'd call it focused and driven.

Hey, I did tell you the short temper was returning....

Ciao,

Sparky