Sunday 1 August 2010

Exciting times....

Happy Sunday Everyone!

A bit of a mixed bag this week - but all positive and exciting stuff.

Training-wise, I've made a gentle return to running this week with 30-45 minute runs every day Monday - Thursday.

Nothing sensational - but it did feel good to get back out on the road again.

Obviously the legs have softened up but you also forget how the upper-body misses running. Sounds strange - and maybe its just me - but the upper back & shoulders always feel really tight and stiff when I haven't been running regularly.

So this week has just been about breaking myself back in. As I've only been doing short runs - I've worn the Newtons a few times - just as a 'training aid' to get me running on the fore-foot more.

Still undecided as to whether I would wear these for a marathon - but feel they work well at the shorter distances. However, I do know I've worn them the next morning - as my left Achilles can feel particularly sore. One to watch there...

I've been working in London all week - so had to get my bike work done on the weekend. 2 good rides at good intensity felt really good. Since returning from France, I can definitely feel that my cycling has moved up a notch and I know want to keep this development going by working hard to ride at a stronger pace for longer.

I'm hoping to get back into the pool this week - which will be a painful & embarrassing experience - but I can't put it off as it will only continue to get worse.

You may be asking yourself - why all of this triathlon training?

The exciting news is that I've decided to go over to Kona, Hawaii to watch some good friends compete at the Ford Ironman World Championships.

Therefore, I want to be in good shape - so I don't get to embarrassed on the training sessions or when the pose-ing goes on!

You may recall how last week I told how I have now got my "rev" back for triathlon - with a new harder, faster perspective - after mixing in the higher echelons of the sport of the last few weeks.

This "rev" got even more serious this week - especially after meeting up with a top Ironman age-grouper who I got to know via our mutual relationship with Skinfit.

Stuart Anderson is going to Kona for the 4th time this year - and it was great to meet and talk Ironman with Stuart in London this week.

Next year Stuart is racing at Roth - which I did in 2009 - so we were talking about what a great race, event, experience Roth is.

Later that evening - I entered Roth 2011.....!!!

It just HAD to be done.

After talking about Roth with Lothar & Macca, listening to their stories about racing hard & fast....a seed had started to grow....

...then when Sebastian Kienle went under 8 hours on his iron-distance at Roth 2010 - breaking the bike course record with a 4.14 bike.....it grew some more....

...and then seeing my mate Nick Weston go under 10 hours at Roth 2010...it grew some more....

...and then telling others to enter Roth 2011 because its so awesome...it grew some more...

....then meeting Stuart and talking about Roth, Kona and some other exciting plans we have....it grew to a point at which I had to pick it!

So - there it is - booked and in the diary - 10 July 2011 - Challenge Roth.

And boy - it feels good to have it there - as a real, tangible goal....sub 10 hours!

Plenty of work to be done between now & then - but I feel like I'm coming back to triathlon - a bigger & better athlete than when I left it after Challenge Barcelona last year.

Time will tell - but I promise you this - I will give this my all....

Hope you come along for the ride....

M.