Sunday 8 August 2010

Living the life...

Hola amigos, 


Isn't life amazing?


Having booked a date with Challenge Roth in July 2011 - I feel like a new man...


A new man with a new, tangible, challenging but achievable target. 


I've mentioned it before but I'm going to put it out there again.....I want a sub-10 hour finish. 


I'm going to keep on repeating this to myself - and you guys! - throughout the next 11 months as its going to really focus my energy & passion into a more-specific target then say "set a new PB". 


I have found this a successful tactic in achieving other goals so hopefully it work again this time. 


Ok - so now thats done - lets look more at the present moment....


I'm really pleased with the last 7 days training and lifestyle enhancements. 


Its felt great to get back to the early starts & early evenings - it is a wonderful feeling to be living what I believe is the most natural way of life - up with the sun, down with the sun. 


To me - there is nothing better than getting up at dawn - putting the stove-top espresso on and getting ready to hit the pool. 


Don't get me wrong - staying in bed is always an appealing option - but once I get up & smell the coffee then I'm pleased with my decision. 


So now that the body clock is back in sync - I just need the swimming to follow!


Its been a tough week - I hate swimming poorly and this week has been ugly!


However - with 5 swims under my belt - things are starting to feel something like normal again...but there is still a long way to go. 


The upper body & core are enjoying the new workouts - and I enjoy the feeling that I am firming up again on the top-half of the body. 


I've ordered some paddles & a new pull-buoy so will look to introduce these into some of the drills this week - to help accelerate the re-learning of the feel for the catch & pull. 


I don't want to rush things - and risk damage or injury - but I do need to accelerate the re-development ahead of going over to Kona in 7 weeks. 


Its been a similar story with the running - getting some consistency back. 


I've run 3 times this week - nothing sensational - only 45 minutes a time but on the 3rd run - the legs did start to feel like some strength was returning. 


Interestingly - I've run in 3 different pairs of shoes this week - Asics Noosas, Newtons and then Asics DS Racers. 


The DS Racers won hands-down for me. They felt the most natural and gave me the biggest feeling of connecting with the road. 


The interesting point for me - is that the DS Racers are the most minimalistic of the shoes. They have less support & cushioning than the other two and allow a natural foot strike. 


I think I will continue to use the Newtons as a training aid - but will defer to the DS Racers for my serious work. 


I will also start to re-introduce the Vibram five-fingers into my training - maybe a joint-session with the Newtons - as a recovery/technique session....


Onto the bike - only 3 sessions this week - so I could accommodate the runs. I'm pleased with where my riding is at - but I am riding more like a "roadie" than a "time-trailist" so will need to calm down on the hills and look to hold a more consistent pace on the flats. 


I'll look to convert my developing bike-strength into becoming a stronger time-trailist - instead of looking to beat my mates up on the climbs. 


Finally - and this goes back to the natural life-style piece - I'm bringing yoga back into my routine. 


Early days - but a few poses at the start of the day whilst the coffee is brewing combined with some at the end of the day & post-session - are really helping ensure that the re-adjustment back into full tri training goes as smoothly as possible. 


I plan on up-weighting my yoga - and talking more about it - as I do see it as another discipline which should be added to the mix. 


To repeat myself - I love this lifestyle - and the feeling that yoga gives me in terms of strength, flexibility, breathing and posture - brings together all the benefits of this healthy, active lifestyle. 


During the winter months - I plan to make a return to surfing - which is when I started practising yoga - so these two will form a core (no pun!) part of my winter base programme. 


So over the coming months I plan on posting a lot more content of the wider lifestyle elements such as a clean & natural diet, yoga & surfing which I look to bring together into a healthy, active and holistic package. 


It would be great to get your feedback on whether you find this wider content interesting - so please get in touch via my social networks - and let me know if theres anything in particular you would like me to cover. 


It seems fitting that I leave you with a very pertinent quote from Scott Tinley - which is a great summary of all of that rambling I've just splurted out....


"Above all train hard, eat light and avoid TV and negative people" 


See you in 7....


M.